The population of Dubai has increased by 80 times since 1960, while the emirate’s urban and constructed area has grown by 170-fold. This fact necessitated the creation of the Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan, which lays out a comprehensive plan for sustainable urban development and growth of the area.
The Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan is the emirate’s seventh development plan since 1960. The plan features a strategic structural layout that integrates all of Dubai’s urban development master plans and aligns perfectly with the emirate’s strategic economic priorities and future demands.
Over the next 20 years, the principal goal of the Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan is to improve the happiness and quality of life of people living in Dubai while also reinforcing the emirate as a preferred global destination for its residents, visitors, and investors.
Here are the key takeaways from Dubai’s 2040 Urban Master Plan.
- Favourable Impact of Population Increase on the Economy:
- The Plan states that Dubai’s population is projected to increase to 5.8 million in the next 20 years, which will help spur the economy. The population growth will create incredible market growth opportunities for multiple industries, paving way for them to flourish in the Gulf region.
- The angle of the plan pertains to the demographic projections. The expat population is in focus because the dual crisis of Covid-19 and lower oil prices last year led to private sector job cuts. Unsupportive demographics may have potentially delayed the economic recovery in 2021.
- However, it seems that Dubai’s expatriate population grew by 1.5% in 2020. That is because the demographics of Dubai’s population are fast changing and becoming more mature. The expat population doesn’t really behave or feel like expats anymore. They consider Dubai as their home.
- Advanced Transportation Accessibility:
- The Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan focuses on creating a more sustainable approach to people’s mobility in and around Dubai.
- Research indicates that 50% of people born today are unlikely to drive a car in the future. Therefore, the plan aims to improve interconnectivity by ensuring 55% of the population will live within 800 meters of main public transport stations. This initiative will lead to significant changes in transportation facilities in the coming years, with technology set to hold the centre stage.
- The plan aims to encourage mass transit use, walking, cycling, and the use of flexible means of transportation.
- For people, this initiative not only means more convenience in terms of moving from one place to another but also more self-sufficiency in mobility.
- Enhanced Environments:
- One of the objectives of the Dubai 2040 Urban Master plan is to make sure that 60% of the city is covered by nature reserves.
- The plan has a clear strategy to focus on the health and lifestyle of people in Dubai. It aims is to provide a high standard of living and improve the quality of life for people by increasing green spaces, public parks, cycling lanes, and leisure areas in Dubai.
- Essentially, the primary goal is to prepare the next wave of major residential and economical diversifications in Dubai.
- Protecting Cultural Heritage:
- The Master Plan aims to promote security within the emirate’s cultural and urban heritage and strengthen citizens’ attachment to older neighbourhoods. It is about retaining and celebrating Emirati cultural heritage and embedding it within the wider socio-economic framework of the city.
- The plan envisions a regeneration of older areas, such as Bur Dubai and Deira, with the new development. It also forecasts the repopulation of locations with Emirati families where local families lived previously. These regenerated areas can become fashionable and great places to live. In short, the plan aims to discover new areas of the city.
The fulfilment of key objectives of the Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan will result in the comprehensive development of the area while enhancing overall human well-being.
So, for investors looking to start a business in Dubai, there cannot be a better time than now! Our team at Creative Zone can help you with all your business setup needs and provide ongoing support for business growth. Please call us at 800 LICENSE (5423673) to speak to one of our business setup advisors today.